CFL Light BulbHave you made the switch to the new energy efficient light bulbs?

I do like the fact that they do save energy and I have found that the new bulbs do last longer than the older conventional light bulbs.

One of the concerns I have is the amount of mercury contained in the bulbs. I did some research and found the following:

“The amount of  mercury in a CFL – Compact Fluorescent Lamp is 4mg.  (Source:  Fact Sheet Mercury in Compact Fluorescent Lamps)  The article compares the level found in light bulbs to mercury thermometers 500 mg and older thermostats: 3,000 mg. It seems like this is a safe amount according to this fact sheet. ”

On the EPA site, mercury is listed as a potential hazard if levels are found that are .002mg/L or higher.

I guess my point here is that mercury is present in the new light bulbs and steps should be taken when disposing or cleaning up spills.

“If a CFL breaks in your home, open nearby windows to disperse any vapor that may escape, carefully sweep up the fragments (do not use your hands)  and wipe the area with a disposable paper towel to remove all glass fragments. Do not use a vacuum.”  Place all fragments in a sealed plastic bag and check out the nearest recycle station near your home or work location.  Check out  I was surprised to see that Lowes and Home Depot offer this service.”  Source: Fact Sheet Mercury in Compact Fluorescent Lamps

Picture via Nioxxe