Microcystins are cyclic nonribosomal peptides produced by cyanobacteria (e.g.Microcystis aeruginosa and Planktothrix). They are cyanotoxins and can be very toxic for plants and animals including humans. Their hepatotoxicity may cause serious damage to the liver. Source Wikipedia
This issue is getting a lot of attention the past few weeks. Check out this article, July 23, 2013 out of Illinois, ” State warns of hazardous algae”
The most common kind of algal toxin found in Illinois is microcystin, which can cause rashes, asthma-like symptoms, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage or severe neurotoxicity depending on the length and level of exposure. Source: (State warns of hazardous algae, July 23, 2013)
Another article, GV Lake microcystins levels high – July 22, 2013 | “The Iowa Department of Natural Resources has identified a hepatotoxin, called microcystin toxin, in Green Valley Lake near Creston in Union County.”
Microsystin Testing | Cost of this analysis is $35.00
Water samples can be collected in any plastic bottles. One to two cups of water is needed for analysis. Turnaround time is3-5 working days to complete the test. Sample should be collected from an area that has algae or in the middle of the lake — not right by the shore
If you have questions regarding this issue or analysis, please talk to a member of our client services team.
Image courtesy of artur84 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net